17 Data Retention Policy
Despite not being a requirement within PIPEDA, EA understands and appreciates the importance of health data retention. EA has created and implemented the following policy to make it easier for Customers to support data retention laws.
- Current EA Customers have data stored by EA as a part of the EA Service.
- EA stores customer information for a minimum of six years after a Customer ceases to be a Customer, as defined below:
- ePHI is retained in EA systems in an inactive state to facilitate follow up communications and inquiries.
- Certain circumstances may require EA to continue communications between the Customer and Covered Entities that were established while the Customer was still active with EA.
- Records may be retained indefinitely for legal purposes
- EA uses anonymized and aggregated data for trend analysis and reporting purposes.